Join Our Team
With a people-first culture, we encourage and support employee engagement and empowerment. We are committed to creating a dynamic and collaborative environment that supports and rewards creativity, innovation and enthusiasm. We recognize the wisdom that, when one of us thrives, we all thrive.
Interested in joining our amazing team, please submit your resume to . Are you in?
Current Job Openings
Location: San Diego, CA 92121
Position: Full-Time, exempt
Required Education: Degree(s) in Biochemical Engineering, Microbiology, or related discipline. Minimum of B.S. with 15+ years, or M.S. with 10+ years, or Ph.D. with 5+ years of industrial fermentation experience.
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Fermentation technology, experimental design and data analysis, microbial genetics and physiology, financial modelling and project management.
Reports to: President/CEO
Job Code: NU2008
Nucelis LLC is a metabolic engineering company in San Diego, CA, focused on the use of gene editing tools to construct commercially useful strains of microorganisms, and develop optimized fermentation and chemical processes to maximize their commercial advantage. Nucelis is seeking a highly capable and experienced Senior Group Leader to run our Fermentation team.
The Senior Group Leader of Fermentation oversees all aspects of upstream bioprocess design from laboratory scale to commercial scale. This individual will join a cross-functional team developing efficient and economic fermentation processes utilizing yeast and bacterial strains for the commercial production of high value specialty chemical ingredients for cosmetic, nutrition or flavor and fragrance applications.
- Lead the fermentation team including planning, data analysis and interpretation of lab-scale fermentation experiments
- Hands-on direction of fermentation lab activities including actual lab work as needed.
- Collaborate with Strain Development team to develop methods for vetting new strains for fermentation. Collaborative planning of strain design to improve titer, yield, purity, and ease of downstream processing.
- Execute scale-up, scale-down, and process optimization experiments to aid in design and technology transfer. The successful candidate will help develop and implement procedures to increase fermentation reproducibility and throughput, install and commission new equipment, and participate in the transfer of improved fermentation technology to manufacturing scale, working effectively with third party manufacturers and parties.
- Complete establishment of rigorous protocol-driven operational practices in the fermentation group at all scales of operation.
- Interface and coordinate with Strain Development, Downstream Processing, and Analytical teams for transfer of information and materials. Engage in inter-team feedback to drive iterative refinement of all processes toward product goals.
- Establish targets for Nucelis’ fermentation process technology development that allow Nucelis to achieve its business objectives. Use cost modelling to identify optimum scenarios.
- Oversee the technology transfer of fermentation processes to commercial partners. This includes preparing technology transfer documents, maintaining relationships and communication with commercial partners, and leading the team to provide technical support for the technology transfer.
- Manage an annual budget for the costs associated with the Fermentation group.
- Provide technical insight and an engineering perspective into potential new partner projects to help drive growth of Nucelis’ ASAP program
- Leadership, Mentorship and development of fermentation personnel to achieve individual and collective success.
- Is an effective collaborator, both internally and externally. Effective at influencing positive change and direction within the organization. Interface with and positively influence customers, partners, and service providers to Nucelis.
- Providing expertise in pathway modeling and metabolic flux analysis to support Strain Development in their choice of genetic modifications would be a bonus.
- BS/MS/PhD in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering or related field with 10/8/5 years of experience in industrial biotechnology process development is required.
- Broad knowledge and experience of fermentation operations for biochemical production is required.
- Solid knowledge of microbial genetics, physiology and molecular biology as applied to fermentation.
- Experience with detailed analysis of bioprocess data demonstrating an ability to troubleshoot, debottleneck, and optimize bioprocesses at the unit operation and whole process level.
- Experience managing technology transfer including creating and managing technology transfer documentation and communication with external partners to ensure proper application of transferred technology is required.
- Project management experience including balancing competing priorities, setting and meeting milestones, risk assessment, and managing resources to achieve project goals is desired.
- Experience developing proposals and estimating project requirements for new business opportunities is desired.
- Strong computer skills including MS office and data analysis software is required.
Nucelis provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: NU2008.
Only candidates with work authorization in the United States will be considered.
Nucelis is an equal opportunity employer.
We provide an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans
- Health Spending Account (HSA)
- 401(k) Plan
- Voluntary Additional Insurance Benefits
- Vacation and Sick Leave
- Recognition Programs
- On-Site Fitness Center
It is imperative that you read the following policy before contacting us:
Cibus’ Human Resources Department is the focal point for all recruiting and hiring at the Company. If your recruitment agency is interested in establishing a relationship with Nucelis, we require that you work directly with the Cibus Human Resources Department.
Presenting candidates to Nucelis employees other than those who are part of our Human Resources Department is not appropriate.
Nucelis does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. For the protection of all parties involved in the recruiting process, resumes will only be accepted from a recruitment firm if a signed agreement is in place with that firm at the inception of the recruiting effort for each specified position. An unsolicited resume sent to Nucelis from a recruiter does not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter/recruitment firm and Nucelis, and does not obligate Nucelis to pay fees if we hire the candidate.
For consideration, please send your company information, a copy of your standard search agreement, and references to or mail to:
Human Resources Department
6455 Nancy Ridge Drive
San Diego, CA 92121.