Join Our Team
With a people-first culture, we encourage and support employee engagement and empowerment. We are committed to creating a dynamic and collaborative environment that supports and rewards creativity, innovation and enthusiasm. We recognize the wisdom that, when one of us thrives, we all thrive.
Interested in joining our amazing team, please submit your resume to . Are you in?
Current Job Openings
Location: San Diego, CA 92121
Position: Full-Time, exempt
Required Education: Degree(s) in Biochemical Engineering, Mechanical, Agriculture Engineering or related discipline. Minimum of B.S. with 2 to 3 years’ experience or M.S. degree in similar or related fields with at least 1 year of industrial experience
Job Code: NU2124
Nucelis LLC is a metabolic engineering company in San Diego, CA, focused on the use of gene editing tools to construct commercially useful strains of microorganisms, and develop optimized fermentation and chemical processes to maximize their commercial advantage. Nucelis is seeking a highly capable and experienced Downstream Process and Fermentation Engineer to join our team.
To realize our goal of building a next-generation Yarrowia lipolytica yeast platform, each of our strains need to be successfully deployed. Therefore, we are seeking a Downstream Process Engineer to help with this great challenge. With your motivation for process development, and a particular interest in downstream product recovery and purification, you will be responsible for designing, developing, and deploying downstream processes which meet quality, cost, and process reliability objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and manage the execution of laboratory and pilot scale downstream experiments, leading to the definition of commercially viable processes, harvest of and product recovery, that leverage Nucelis’ engineered organisms.
- Work with Nucelis’ fermentation and synthetic chemistry scientists to adapt, optimize and scale-up laboratory scale processes to achieve commercially viable and robust process protocols.
- Work with manufacturing partners to design fermentation and downstream processes to fit the partners facility equipment and successfully transfer processes to them.
- Manage the execution of bench scale assays and proof-of-concept experiments.
- Develop mass and energy balances, process flow and instrumentation diagrams, simulations and cost models.
- Conceive ideas to reduce the cost of manufacture of product, develop and implement experimental plans to test and evaluate feasibility of ideas.
- Work with external engineered systems and process equipment partners to design and assess alternative processes and equipment capable of achieving process requirements.
- Develop and follow Standard Operating Procedures and additional verbal and written directions.
- Support the set-up, completion, and clean-up of experiments.
- Present findings of research in written and oral formats.
- Maintain detailed and complete lab notebook. Participate and support IP filings.
- Must be able to work a schedule which includes weekends and extended hours.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Adhere to lab safety practices.
- Comply with Nucelis’ policies including observance of US and California laws and regulations
- B.S. degree in Chemical, Biochemical, Mechanical, Agricultural Engineering or related field with 2 to 3 years’ industrial experience or M.S. degree in similar or related fields with at least 1 year of industrial experience.
- Hands-on experience with chemical separations equipment (e.g., distillation, filtration, chromatography, centrifugation), and a strong understanding of the underlying theory.
- Ability to exercise judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Knowledge of computer-based monitoring and control systems.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills to facilitate interactions with an interdisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, technicians, and external partners.
- Familiarity in Process/ Utility Flow diagrams (PFD/UFD), Piping and Instrument Diagrams (P&IDs), and Equipment / Instrument specifications is a plus.
- Experience with hands-on fermentation processes and bioreactor operations is highly desirable.
- High-level expertise with modeling software (ASPEN, etc.) and/or building computational models is a plus.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, reach high and low and be capable of lifting and carrying 50 lbs.
Nucelis provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: NU2124.
Only candidates with work authorization in the United States will be considered.
Nucelis is an equal opportunity employer.
We provide an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans
- Health Spending Account (HSA)
- 401(k) Plan
- Voluntary Additional Insurance Benefits
- Vacation and Sick Leave
- Recognition Programs
- On-Site Fitness Center
It is imperative that you read the following policy before contacting us:
Cibus’ Human Resources Department is the focal point for all recruiting and hiring at the Company. If your recruitment agency is interested in establishing a relationship with Nucelis, we require that you work directly with the Cibus Human Resources Department.
Presenting candidates to Nucelis employees other than those who are part of our Human Resources Department is not appropriate.
Nucelis does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. For the protection of all parties involved in the recruiting process, resumes will only be accepted from a recruitment firm if a signed agreement is in place with that firm at the inception of the recruiting effort for each specified position. An unsolicited resume sent to Nucelis from a recruiter does not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter/recruitment firm and Nucelis, and does not obligate Nucelis to pay fees if we hire the candidate.
For consideration, please send your company information, a copy of your standard search agreement, and references to or mail to:
Human Resources Department
6455 Nancy Ridge Drive
San Diego, CA 92121.