Join Our Team
With a people-first culture, we encourage and support employee engagement and empowerment. We are committed to creating a dynamic and collaborative environment that supports and rewards creativity, innovation and enthusiasm. We recognize the wisdom that, when one of us thrives, we all thrive.
Interested in joining our amazing team, please submit your resume to . Are you in?
Current Job Openings
Location: San Diego, California 92121
Reports to: Full-Time, Regular Employee
Required Education: B.Sc. in Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Microbiology or Fermentation Science
Job Code: FE1801
Nucelis LLC is looking for an experienced Fermentation Research Associate to join our fermentation process development team. This person will play a hands-on roll among operating our lab and pilot scale fermentations, collecting and processing samples, operating analytical equipment, preparing fermentation experiment documents, and participating in data analysis and process development/improvement discussions. The job will also include some general lab duties such as stocking/ ordering supplies, washing glassware and media preparation. Nucelis is focused on delivering naturally sourced and sustainable solutions to the personal care, nutrition and flavor and fragrance markets. Nucelis’ business model is to work with partners to apply our Rapid Trait Development System RTDS™ a suite of proprietary, non-GMO precision gene editing technologies, coupled with extensive fermentation and downstream process development expertise to improve the economics of manufacture of microbial fermentation products.
The successful candidate will be responsible for running lab scale (and pilot scale as needed) fermentations, including media preparation, vessel cleaning and assembly, sampling, process monitoring, and data recording/analysis. Respond to out-of-spec fermentation parameters in a timely manner, troubleshoot equipment or process issues and provide solutions.
- Process and run fermentation analytical samples including OD600, Gallery (glycerol, ammonium, glucose) analysis, and HPLC analysis. Maintain and design fermentation run documentation including batch sheets, log sheets, and run data analysis sheets.
- Contribute to fermentation process improvement activities using a data driven approach.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with strain development and downstream process development teams to ensure strong linkages between fermentation and upstream and downstream technology functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Microbiology, Fermentation Science, or related field with at least 2 years of fermentation experience is required.
- Experience setting up and operating lab scale bioreactors such as Bioflo 310s, DasGip, and Dasbox units is required. Fermentation Pilot Plant experience is desired
- Ability to prepare and follow fermentation batch sheets detailing media recipes is required.
- Ability to have a flexible schedule working an offset shift part of the week to expand coverage of the fermentation runs including occasional light weekend duties.
- Good sterile technique is required.
- Experience operating analytical equipment including HPLC, Gallery autoanalyzer or similar equipment is desired.
Nucelis LLC provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to referencing job code: FE1801.
Only candidates with work authorization in the United States will be considered.
Location: San Diego, CA
Position: Senior Research Associate
Required Education: B.S. or M.S. in Microbiology, Molecular Biology or equivalent
Area(s) of expertise desired: A combination of Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics, Protein Expression, and Microbiology.
Job Code: MD1802
Nucelis Inc. is a trait development company in San Diego, CA, focused on the construction of commercially useful strains of microorganisms is looking for a Senior Research Associate to assist the R&D team in the development of novel microorganisms for the production of high value specialty chemicals for use in the cosmetics, food, flavors & fragrances, and biofuel markets.
- Work in a well-integrated team that constructs strains using a combination of metabolic engineering, synthetic biology, and chromosomal gene editing methods, along with classical genetics and adaptive evolution.
- Nucelis is seeking a Senior Research Associate to construct bacterial strains for overproduction of a natural metabolite. This entails DNA vector construction (designing fragments, assembly, sequence verification) and molecular screening to identify correct transformants.
- Assist in the assessment of strain performance in shakeflask cultures or small scale fermenters to guide iterative refinement of strains. This entails designing growth experiments, and sampling for metabolite and -OMICs analyses.
- Evaluate experimental and production data, preparing written and oral technical reports and representing Nucelis at business and scientific meetings.
Knowledge, Experience, Skills
- The ideal candidate will have a B.S. or M.S. or equivalent in Biology, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biochemical Engineering or equivalent, with 3-5 years of bench experience working with molecular biology and microbes.
- Strong molecular biology and molecular cloning skills required.
- Experience with Gram positive bacteria strongly preferred.
- Experience with the following would be plusses: small scale fermenters, Metabolic Engineering, Protein expression, Yeast (especially non-conventional yeast) and Fungi, Chromosomal gene editing technologies and DNA repair.
Cibus US LLC provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to referencing job code: CA1826.
ONLY CANDIDATES WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION IN THE U.S. ARE CONSIDERED AT THIS TIME.
Nucelis is an equal opportunity employer.
We provide an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans
- Health Spending Account (HSA)
- 401(k) Plan
- Voluntary Additional Insurance Benefits
- Vacation and Sick Leave
- Recognition Programs
- On-Site Fitness Center
It is imperative that you read the following policy before contacting us:
Cibus’ Human Resources Department is the focal point for all recruiting and hiring at the Company. If your recruitment agency is interested in establishing a relationship with Nucelis, we require that you work directly with the Cibus Human Resources Department.
Presenting candidates to Nucelis employees other than those who are part of our Human Resources Department is not appropriate.
Nucelis does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. For the protection of all parties involved in the recruiting process, resumes will only be accepted from a recruitment firm if a signed agreement is in place with that firm at the inception of the recruiting effort for each specified position. An unsolicited resume sent to Nucelis from a recruiter does not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter/recruitment firm and Nucelis, and does not obligate Nucelis to pay fees if we hire the candidate.
For consideration, please send your company information, a copy of your standard search agreement, and references to or mail to:
Human Resources Department
6455 Nancy Ridge Drive
San Diego, CA 92121.