Join Our Team
With a people-first culture, we encourage and support employee engagement and empowerment. We are committed to creating a dynamic and collaborative environment that supports and rewards creativity, innovation and enthusiasm. We recognize the wisdom that, when one of us thrives, we all thrive.
Interested in joining our amazing team, please submit your resume to . Are you in?
Current Job Openings
Location: San Diego, CA
Salary Range: $110,000 to $128,000
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Fermentation technology, experimental design and data analysis, microbial genetics, and physiology.
Reports to: Director, Fermentation Job Code: NU2307
Nucelis is a trait development company in San Diego, CA, focused on the construction of commercially useful strains of microorganisms. We are looking for a Scientist or Senior Scientist for fermentation development in our R&D team to develop novel microorganism to produce high value specialty chemicals for use in the cosmetics, food, flavors & fragrances, and pharmaceutical markets.
The Scientist/Senior Scientist in Fermentation participates in all aspects of upstream bioprocess design from laboratory scale to commercial scale. This individual will join a cross-functional team developing efficient and economic fermentation processes utilizing yeast and bacterial strains for the commercial production of high value, sustainable and low carbon specialty ingredients for cosmetic, nutrition or flavor and fragrance, and pharmaceutical applications.
- Plan and execute scale-up, scale-down, and process optimization experiments to maximize understanding and performance of strains to meet product titer and specification goals. Develop and implement procedures to increase fermentation reproducibility and throughput. Help select, install, and commission new equipment. Support technical investigations of production runs, resolve root causes, and provide solutions to various issues in process development.
- Interface and coordinate with Strain Development, Downstream Processing, and Analytical teams for transfer of information and materials. Engage in inter-team feedback to drive iterative refinement of all processes toward product goals.
- Work with strain development to design strains that ease fermentation, improve titer, yield, purity, and ease of downstream processing.
- Work with Strain Development team to develop methods for vetting new strains for fermentation. This includes cultivation in 96-well format platform and microfermenter experiments.
- Work with the Downstream Processing team to optimize composition and conditions for handover of fermentation products.
- Work with the Analytical and Strain teams to develop assays for critical products – define endpoints, detection and quantitation methods, and parameters critical to accurate measurement.
- Participate in the transfer of improved fermentation technology to manufacturing scale, working effectively with third party manufacturers and parties. Participate in creating Tech Transfer documentation.
- Is an effective collaborator, both internally and externally. Effective at influencing positive change and direction within the organization. Interface with and positively influence customers, partners, and service providers to Nucelis.
- BS/MS/PhD in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering or related field with 5/3/1 years of experience in industrial biotechnology process development is required.
- Broad knowledge and experience of fermentation operations for biochemical production is required.
- Solid knowledge of microbial genetics, physiology and molecular biology as applied to fermentation.
- Experience with detailed analysis of bioprocess data demonstrating an ability to troubleshoot, debottleneck, and optimize bioprocesses at the unit operation and whole process level.
- Strong computer skills including MS office and data analysis software is required.
- Bonus: Providing expertise in pathway modeling and metabolic flux analysis to support Strain Development in their choice of genetic modifications.
Ability to be independent, self-motivated, and enjoy working in a highly collaborative environment.
Nucelis provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: NU2307.
Only candidates with work authorization in the United States will be considered.
Nucelis is an equal opportunity employer.
We provide an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans
- Health Spending Account (HSA)
- 401(k) Plan
- Voluntary Additional Insurance Benefits
- Vacation and Sick Leave
- Recognition Programs
- On-Site Fitness Center
It is imperative that you read the following policy before contacting us:
Cibus’ Human Resources Department is the focal point for all recruiting and hiring at the Company. If your recruitment agency is interested in establishing a relationship with Nucelis, we require that you work directly with the Cibus Human Resources Department.
Presenting candidates to Nucelis employees other than those who are part of our Human Resources Department is not appropriate.
Nucelis does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. For the protection of all parties involved in the recruiting process, resumes will only be accepted from a recruitment firm if a signed agreement is in place with that firm at the inception of the recruiting effort for each specified position. An unsolicited resume sent to Nucelis from a recruiter does not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter/recruitment firm and Nucelis, and does not obligate Nucelis to pay fees if we hire the candidate.
For consideration, please send your company information, a copy of your standard search agreement, and references to or mail to:
Human Resources Department
6455 Nancy Ridge Drive
San Diego, CA 92121.