Join Our Team
With a people-first culture, we encourage and support employee engagement and empowerment. We are committed to creating a dynamic and collaborative environment that supports and rewards creativity, innovation and enthusiasm. We recognize the wisdom that, when one of us thrives, we all thrive.
Interested in joining our amazing team, please submit your resume to . Are you in?
Current Job Openings
Location: San Diego, California 92121
Position: Full-Time, exempt
Required Education: Degree(s) in (Bio)chemical Engineering, Microbiology, Fermentation, or related discipline. Minimum of B.S. with 5+ years, or M.S. with 3+ years, or Ph.D. with 1 year of industrial fermentation experience.
Area(s) of Expertise Desired: Fermentation technology, experimental design and data analysis, microbial genetics, and physiology.
Reports to: Director, Fermentation Job Code: NU2263
Nucelis is a trait development company in San Diego, CA, focusing on the construction of commercially useful strains of microorganisms. We are looking for a Scientist or Senior Scientist for fermentation development in our R&D team to develop and optimize scalable fermentation processes using novel microorganisms to produce high value specialty chemicals for use in the cosmetics, food, flavors & fragrances, and pharmaceutical industries.
The Scientist/Senior Scientist in Fermentation participates in all aspects of upstream bioprocess design from laboratory scale to commercial scale. This individual will join a cross-functional team developing efficient, economic, and scalable fermentation processes utilizing yeast and bacterial strains for the commercial production of high value, sustainable and low carbon specialty ingredients for cosmetic, nutrition or flavor and fragrance, and pharmaceutical applications.
- Design and execute scale-up, scale-down, and process optimization experiments to maximize understanding and performance of strains to meet product titer and specification goals. Develop and implement procedures to increase fermentation reproducibility and throughput, install and commission new equipment. Support trouble-shooting and technical investigations of production runs and provide solutions to various issues in process development.
- Conduct data analysis using statistical tools to understand key factors affecting fermentation results and provide directions on DOE to improve fermentation titer, yield or other targets.
- Build and manage a fermentation database. This includes both online and offline fermentation process and analysis data. Be able to interpret and present the data and draw appropriate conclusions.
- Contribute to maintenance and expansion of both capability and capacity of fermentation lab and pilot plant as needed.
- Interact with Strain Development, Downstream Processing, and Analytical teams for information sharing and materials transfer. Engage in inter-team feedback to drive iterative refinement of all processes toward product goals.
- Work with strain development to design strains to improve fermentation titer, yield and purity, and ease of downstream processing.
- Work with Strain Development team to develop methods for vetting new strains for fermentation. This includes high-throughput screening methods using plate or micro-fermenter systems.
- Support Downstream Processing team to develop and optimize separation and purification processes. Provide fermentation materials for Downstream Processing experiments.
- Work with the Analytical and Strain teams to develop assays for critical products – define target specifications and detection and quantitation methods, and parameters critical to accurate measurement.
- Participate in the tech transfer and scale up of fermentation technology to manufacturing scale, working effectively with third party manufacturers and parties. Participate in creating Tech Transfer documentation.
- Collaborate effectively both internally and externally. Drive positive change and direction within the organization. Interface with and positively influence customers, partners, and service providers to Nucelis.
- BS/MS/PhD in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Fermentation, Microbiology, or related field with a minimum of 5/3/1 years of experience in industrial biotechnology process development is required.
- Broad knowledge and experience of fermentation operations at various scales for biochemical production is required.
- Solid knowledge of microbial genetics, physiology and molecular biology and strong aseptic concepts as applied to fermentation.
- Experience with detailed analysis of bioprocess data demonstrating an ability to troubleshoot, debottleneck, and optimize bioprocesses at the unit operation and whole process level.
- Strong computer skills including MS office and data analysis software is required.
- Bonus: Providing expertise in pathway modeling and metabolic flux analysis to support Strain Development in their choice of genetic modifications.
- Ability to be independent, self-motivated, and enjoy working in a highly collaborative environment.
- Be amenable to both lab and desk roles as needed. Flexibility in working hours as warranted by experiments is desirable.
Ability to be independent, self-motivated, and enjoy working in a highly collaborative environment.
Nucelis provides an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical/dental/vision, flexible spending, 401(k) plan, vacation and sick leave. If you enjoy working as part of a team and want to participate in this exciting research, please e-mail resume to and put down job code: NU2263.
Only candidates with work authorization in the United States will be considered.
Nucelis is an equal opportunity employer.
We provide an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans
- Health Spending Account (HSA)
- 401(k) Plan
- Voluntary Additional Insurance Benefits
- Vacation and Sick Leave
- Recognition Programs
- On-Site Fitness Center
It is imperative that you read the following policy before contacting us:
Cibus’ Human Resources Department is the focal point for all recruiting and hiring at the Company. If your recruitment agency is interested in establishing a relationship with Nucelis, we require that you work directly with the Cibus Human Resources Department.
Presenting candidates to Nucelis employees other than those who are part of our Human Resources Department is not appropriate.
Nucelis does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. For the protection of all parties involved in the recruiting process, resumes will only be accepted from a recruitment firm if a signed agreement is in place with that firm at the inception of the recruiting effort for each specified position. An unsolicited resume sent to Nucelis from a recruiter does not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter/recruitment firm and Nucelis, and does not obligate Nucelis to pay fees if we hire the candidate.
For consideration, please send your company information, a copy of your standard search agreement, and references to or mail to:
Human Resources Department
6455 Nancy Ridge Drive
San Diego, CA 92121.